EOB Processing Case Study
How One Clinic Streamlined Their EOB Processing System
Our feature clinic was founded in January 1957. Over the span of forty-four years, the clinic has grown in structure, personnel and physicians.
The main facility provides medical and surgical care in virtually all areas of medicine including Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonology, Infectious Diseases, Orthopedic Surgery, Allergy/Immunology, Rheumatology, Medical Oncology, General/Thoracic/Vascular Surgery, Colon-Rectal Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Gynecology, Ophthalmology, and Otolaryngology.
Serving over 1000 patients per day means that they must continually submit insurance claims for payment. When the insurance companies pay the clinic by check, the check is attached to an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) Document. EOB processing matches the check and EOB with the patient services that were provided. They clinic receives between over 100 payments per day from the insurance companies. The EOB’s are opened, sorted, and distributed to the processors who validate and post the payments. Processing an EOB also involves resolving issues related to payments, which mean they are often searching through file cabinets, and even worse, searching through boxes located in off site document storage.
Document Management Solution
The clinic knew the answer to its problems was a move to digital document storage and retrieval. After reviewing potential solutions, the organization selected DocuVantage OnDemand® for its ease of use and immediate deployment. Their new EOB processing system was up and running in a matter of hours. Now EOB’s are opened and scanned immediately, allowing processors to access the documents electronically without the need to sort and distribute.
Employees no longer need to trudge to a storage facility to search for and retrieve files. Instead, they access records via an intuitive Web-based interface. Staff can search records in a variety of formats, including those in word processing, scanned image and text-based file types. By doing specific queries for a document type, name, or date, personnel can quickly locate and view images of the original records.
Other areas of the business have also taken notice of the solution’s efficiency and secure access control and will take come online as soon as possible.
DocuVantage OnDemand has proven to be the ideal solution to support its rapid growth and service-focused culture.
- Reduced physical storage and is able to eliminate its physical storage space in a large facility to securely storing its information assets in a web accessible off site data center.
- HIPAA compliance. DocuVantage OnDemand provides the facility with username and password-based control to documents containing sensitive patient data. With the need for physical access to records eliminated, the clinic is able to maintain control and compliance with the stringent security measures required by HIPAA regulation.
- Efficient service. Whereas staff once had to delay customer service to physically retrieve and review records, employees can now provide customers with instant answers via the DocuVantage OnDemand Web-based interface.
- Overhead cost control. Because electronic document access is much faster and more efficient than physical retrieval.
- Rapid installation and adoption. The application was installed quickly and employees found the Web-based interface easy to use.
What can DocuVantage do for you?
Want to learn how DocuVantage can meet your unique electronic document management needs? Contact us today at (866) 367-3467 or email firstname.lastname@example.org